Curiosity piques at The Sparrow
1. What is a kolache? – a sweet soft bun filled with yummy fillings, then baked to a beautiful golden delight.
2. What is the origin of the kolache? - the kolache was first introduced to Texas by the Czech immigrants who settled there in the 1800s in pursuit of land and a new life. It has many cousins like the Polish, German, Russian variations - - many even compare the Asian hum bao to it.
3. How in the world did ya’ll (okay so maybe not too many folks used “ya’ll” J) learn about the kolache? – we were introduced to the kolache growing up in Texas, where the kolache was as common as the donut or bagel. Yep it’s true! Donuts & bagels battled for breakfast crowds with this unknown-to-many-of-you-until-now kolache J
4. What makes Happy Sparrow kolaches different? – our kolaches are inspired by the Texas style ones we ate while growing up in Houston and Austin, but made with local NW ingredients for a more fresh and delicious treat, not to mention the special attention each and every single one gets as they are hand-rolled with special love & care. We heart our kolaches!
5. What are some of the local ingredients used in your kolaches? – Thanks to many wonderful suggestions from local foodie friends, we’ve included on our repertoire of local favs: Otto’s sausages, Old German Smokehouse sausages, Tillamook cheeses, Sunshine milks, and the list continues to grow as we continue to get recommendations from our Happy Sparrow friends! If you have a suggestion please feel free to share via stopping in or calling or emailing us. We'd love to hear from ya!
6. How do you like Portland? WE LOVE PORTLAND J and are so happy to have the opportunity to enjoy all the beautiful splendor of the NW and love all the friends we've made here who are so amazing & awesome! Thank you for all the support!
We'd love to hear from you!
3001 SE Belmont Street
Portland, OR 97214